Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Let's call this "Shit I've Been Listening To"...

So the good folks over at Illusive (our label) asked us (therefore me) to put together a list of 8 songs we're digging at the moment and write a little about them, all for a website that is dedicated to bringing that sort of voyeurism into an artists iPod directly to the public.

Weeks on, either the website don't wanna fuck with us - or - an Illusive employee is standing in the paint with the rock refusing to do the lay up. Either way, someonoe can get fucked. And here's my list. With pretty pictures. And links to the artists pages. Bang.

1. I’m Not Gonna Teach Your Boyfriend How to Dance / Black Kids (The Twelves Remix)

The first handful of times I heard this, I freaked out like it was a virgin listen again, running to the DJ to see what it was. Between playing it out myself and just smashing it around the house, I’ve almost killed it through overplaying, but it’s hangin’ in there.

2.Successful / Drake Feat. Trey Songs & Lil Wayne

Drake is the first rap artist to keep me interested in a long time. The production on this song is beautifully understated and the subject matter is so relevant to anyone who has ever felt the nervous excitement and fear of being on the cusp of success. The song has so much space, but it’s full of tension and emotion.

3. Heartbreak Scorcese / Snob Scrilla (‘96 Bulls Remix)

Even though this was blasting out of a studio door in my house while it was being crafted, and I heard most of the process as it happened, I still don’t know how this remix wound up being such a monster. It really does explode out of a sound system. It’s audio violence, with a touch of campy ‘90s eurodance piano.

4. Thunder In Your Heart / John Farnham

Farnsey recorded a couple of songs for the classic 1986 BMX movie ‘Rad’. This song is pretty much the perfect blend of AOR/Montage rock. The lyrics. The progression. The best voice to ever come out of Australia.

5. Curtis Mayfield / Move On Up

Before it’s rampant synchronization and re-use as the backdrop for Kanye’s ‘Touch The Sky’, this song was my theme song. There are so many Curtis songs that I love for different reasons, but I don’t know another song by any artist that is so positive and uplifting without being a gospel song or too hippy-tree-hug to reach me.

6. Nikki / The-Dream

The way this tune morphs out of the previous song on the album and into the one that follows it is amazing. When the chords change in ‘Fast Car’ and introduce the Nikki progression under the hook, it’s a goosebump moment normally reserved for the best kind of DJ blend - then the song drops and it’s a perfect example of the just how great the partnership of The-Dream & C.Tricky Stewart is.

7. When We Were Kids / The Galvatrons (Bag Raiders Remix)

Bag Raiders are hands down my favorite electronic artists. It’s a bonus that they’re local, but that’s got zero to do with why I like them. They just win. This remix takes a song which I already liked for it’s 80s rock nostalgia, thumps in some glitchy drums and smashes a trademark Raiders synth riff down your throat.



8. Monster / X & Hell (D-Cup Remix)

I justify being able to put this in here by the fact that it’s really the D-Cup parts I’m going back for, having heard our own music far too much, and not being that egotistical to fill this list with our songs. D-Cup has an awesome 90s / disco style and he used a cool talkbox-ish part for the verse which I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment